The final declaration
of the Parallel Forum “Land, Territory and Dignity” to the International Conference on Agrarian Reform and Rural Development (ICARRD) asked the International Planning Committee for Food Sovereignty (IPC) to give priority in its work to the follow-up of the Forum’s conclusions.
To meet the request of the Forum the IPC Working Group on Agrarian Reform and Territory was created, to be a networking point to articulate the international campaigns that our constituencies and networks are currently carrying out or planning on issues related to land, territory and the sea.
The objectives of IPC Working Group on Agrarian Reform and Territory are:
- To facilitate the further developing of own proposals for a new agrarian reform based on Food Sovereignty, the Territories and the Dignity of the Peoples
- To promote joint actions, articulations, exchanges, and all forms of current mobilization for agrarian reform, especially through the international campaigns that our organizations and networks are carrying out or developing.
- To influence the decision-making process of FAO in order to prioritize in its activities the implementation of the ICARRD Declaration.
The fields of action of the Working Group on Agrarian Reform and Territory are:
- Facilitating the spreading and appropriation of ICARRD results in order to inform, raise awareness, debate, organize and strengthen peoples’ struggle for agrarian reform at the national level.
- Supporting the work at the national and regional level in order to demand from FAO national and regional offices and from the governments the implementation of ICARRD.
- Facilitating the elaboration of concrete proposals on policies and measures for a new agrarian reform based on Food Sovereignty, Territories and the Dignity of Peoples.
- Influencing and pressurizing FAO to adopt our proposals for the ICARRD implementation
- Monitor the implementation of ICARRD
The working group is made up of representatives of each constituency ensuring regional and gender balance.
The facilitator of this working group is Sofia Monsalve from FIAN International